Friday, September 23, 2011

Breathe

I'm thinking that I should do more than simply post poetry on here. My irreverent skewering of current events and liquor or something like that. What say you?

This poem is about breathing and my various failings at doing so. Get some.

Breathe


I can’t breathe
fire
but I can speak smoke

I can’t breathe
sometimes when I hold her
like a conversation that begs to be had
while running at the suicide pace of the prodigal son
afraid he’s arrived too late
I can’t breathe
feeling into being without the perfect string of words
at the dazzling heights necessary for a fall
worthy of bible tragedies

I can’t breathe
for fear of blowing the world off its axis

I can’t breathe
with the staggering weight of brand new gods
crushing my chest

I can’t breathe
on Jupiter’s moons
though there is some debate to suggest otherwise

I can’t breathe
underwater

No comments:

Post a Comment